Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A Year of Living Generously -first thoughts

Once upon a time, there was a good bishop. No, this isn't fiction. There was at least one: Ken Untener, of Saginaw. And about 10 years ago, he started a diocesan policy that every meeting on church property had to start with the question "How is the situation of poor people improved by our gathering?" Everyone always wanted to reframe the question to mean "poor in spirit", but he wasn't having it. (There was just a remnant of autocratic bishop; I don't think they can help it.) He wanted to be sure that poor people were kept front and center in the mission of the church. Two things happened. First, people did start to recast meetings and events so that the lives of poor people became the tiniest bit easier. And secondly, and no less importantly, they let go of some meetings and events where that just couldn't be done. (Oh, hallelujah... fewer meetings. Where do I sign up?)

So, in my quest to lead a generous life, my first thought is to keep that question in the front of my mind.

Now what that means specifically is still a little unclear. Being me, I need to think first. I think I'm going to spend this first week of my "new year" just noticing if any changes happen more or less seamlessly, just because the question is out there. We'll see.

No comments: