Monday, November 21, 2005

Popcorn and Social Change



Here's a resource for those of us who can't quite let social justice go, even in our down time. (How annoying ARE we to the other people in our lives? Do I really want to know?) The Film Connection offers a free library of DVDs on social change topics. A registered film group can borrow one movie at a time and they offer discussion materials, resources for starting your group, and more. The DVDs are for private use only, so groups are supposed to be small and in your home. I think we can safely arrange for the group to be small ;) They will take your credit card information in case you don't return the DVD, but for all practical purposes the program is free.

I signed us up. Possibly we'll be the only on-line discussion group in their membership. There will also be a local group of friends and colleagues and, of course, everyone is invited to my home for these sporadic movie opportunities. However, if we want to do an on-line discussion, you'll have to sign up too. Maybe you should wait a week or two and I'll let you know how smoothly the delivery and return process goes.

The first movie I ordered is The Circle, a movie about women in Iran. It's in Farsi with English subtitles, so I suppose knitting during the movie isn't really an option. I think I can live with that, just this once. I didn't see a review at imdb, but if you go here: The Circle, you can read a bit about this movie. I literally picked it at random, so no promises. It's just that I've been on a bit of a tangent in my own life re: women in fundamentalist regimes.

Who's bringing the popcorn?

No comments: