Saturday, October 01, 2005

What Are You Reading??


I'm desperate. This is not pretty.

Last night, I was wandering around the house, at my wit's end. I didn't want to watch a movie. I didn't want to work out. I didn't want to knit (!!!). I wanted to read, and I had NOTHING to read. How did that happen? Okay, I had stuff to read. There was nothing I wanted to read.

But I didn't realize that was the problem. Instead, I was walking around snarking at everything that moved, which unfortunately for the long-suffering spouse was only him. After a while, he grabbed the car keys and said "get in the car." Oh what a good idea. Use the imperative voice with me when I'm already grouchy.

After about a block, he commented "you get like this when you need a book." Wow! I had no idea. And I had no idea he was paying that much attention, although given the towering nature of my grouchiness it's probably an instinct for self-preservation that encouraged him to be so observant.

So, late at night, we were at Barnes and Noble. He sat comfortably at the coffee shop and graded papers and I looked at books. I didn't buy anything -still couldn't really settle on anything- but just being in a room with that many books was soothing.

But, I DO need a book. What are you reading? And I don't count stuff for school or work that I know I should read, but I don't want to read. It can be something solid and important, although I'm not opposed to light and frivolous, but it can't be dry. The long-suffering spouse would be eternally grateful if I could come up with a reading list for emergency situations.