Sunday, October 09, 2005

"Small Group" Film Festival for Social Change


I'm starting my fall and winter nesting, apparently. The cute little red bicycle has to be put away soon. The garden isn't fine, but it's not going to get any more attention this season. I have to go inside. One of the things I do to make this palatable is watch movies. I like movies almost as much as I like books. Well.... maybe not that much, but a lot. So what are some movies that changed the world, or changed you and made you want to change the world? Let's watch them together -separated geographically, but watch them by a certain date and talk about them. Films of hope for people and the planet -there have to be some.

Let's make a list. Regular dramas, documentaries, independent film... I don't care. Just something we can rent (from a socially responsible vendor, naturally) or go see in a real theater(!)and discuss. I'll keep the list and we can do this from time to time. Here's what I came up with off the top of my head. I'm not planning on watching ALL of these. I'm just keeping a list for someday. Add yours as you think of them.

Coming Soon to a Theater Near You (unless you live in DeKalb. Then you'll have to go somewhere with a little class.)

  • Murderball
  • Good Night, and Good Luck
  • North Country
  • Syriana
  • American Gun
  • The World According to Sesame Street


In the "Bears Re-Watching" category, we have:

  • Dead Man Walking
  • Entertaining Angels
  • Cry Freedom
  • Erin Brokovich
  • Gandhi
  • Inherit the Wind
  • Hotel Rwanda
  • In the Time of the Butterflies
  • Mission (Jeremy Irons as a Jesuit -worth it for that alone!)
  • Romero
  • Rabbit Proof Fence


Well now.... that's a heavy list. Is there NOTHING funny and light-hearted that also challenges us to change the world? I'm not psychologically prepared to watch Hotel Rwanda or its equivalent every single weekend. There must be something...

Here's to a winter filled with good movies and good conversation. Would you like popcorn with that?

No comments: