Thursday, October 13, 2005

Too much quiet from Rome

Anyone who's a parent knows this scenario. There are children in the house and there's NO noise... that can't be good. Someone's up to something somewhere. I have the same feeling about this bishops' synod. They aren't making nearly enough noise. They're up to something.

I did read this, though:
Priests obviously play a central role in celebrating the Eucharist and educating the faithful about the sacrament, but an Indonesian bishop told the world Synod of Bishops he thought their discussion was "too priest-centered."

Bishop Leo Laba Ladjar of Jayapura told the synod on the Eucharist Oct. 7 that "to be relevant and meaningful for the secular society, our discourse on the Eucharist has to deal more with building community."


Okay, it's been a long week and I'm a little punch-drunk, but I had to laugh. Let's be clear. I agree with the sentiment and I'm grateful for it. But did he just now notice that the church is a tidge priest-centered, for the love of all that is holy? Honestly, he should have just asked me. I'm quite certain I've mentioned that a time or two.

And there's something beautiful about taking quotes out of context. Here's one for the bathroom wall: "He (Cardinal Szoka) said, 'the core problem' lies with bishops and priests." I believe I've mentioned that as well ;) I don't know which core problem he's referring to, but I'm always up for believing that priests and bishops are the source of it.

Okay... seriously now, I can think of two possible explanations for this strange silence. The first is that the synod is getting away from B16. Maybe he wanted it to be one thing (from all reports, a legalistic discussion of who can go to Communion and who can't) and it's turning into something else. Apparently, relaxing the rules about celibacy was discussed. Rejected, but discussed. That's certainly interesting. Or.... they're up to no good, and they want to surprise us with it. Any other working theories out there? Who's heard more than I have?

No comments: