Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Pledge Bank

This is a provocative idea. I don't know how I feel about it.

The idea is this: I'll commit to acts of justice of some kind (and people's definitions of both "justice" and "worthwhile" seem to vary quite a bit) if other people will commit, too. Okay... Probably more noble to commit whether or not other people do. On the other hand, I am always the first person in line seeking support from an active community of like-minded people, so this makes a kind of sense to me.

I signed up to do no-brainer things, such as boycotting Burger King for life (I don't eat meat and don't do fast food. I'm thinking there's no problem here.) and to use Mozilla Firefox. I'm not sure why this is an act of justice, but the long-suffering spouse has monster-issues with Microsoft. So, we already use Mozilla.

If, say, my signing up results in a barrage of peculiar and annoying e-mail, I'll vote "no". There are other ways to make a difference; the pledges weren't all that ground-breaking or world-changing. If things seem to go well, I'll report that back, too. Maybe we just need to give these guys some time for the idea to take off.

Here's the link: Pledge Bank. See what you think.

No comments: