Thursday, October 06, 2005

Something's very wrong here...

I seem to agree with George Will. This is messing with my head. His column the day before yesterday was entitled "Miers is the wrong pick," and his early claim in the article is that the Senate should presume that her nomination is "not a defensible exercise of presidential discretion to which senatorial deference is due." Wow. And Will's argument, at least in this piece, isn't that her nomination should be rejected because she's insufficiently conservative. Other people are certainly arguing that, but at least here, George Will is not.

I'm breathing into a paper bag.

Here's my hope. Actually there are two hopes -resulting in the same thing if they come to fruition. One is that the Senate will notice that liberals and conservatives are allied against this appointment, for different reasons, I grant you, but allied nonetheless. Secondly, can they really spend their political capital confirming another Supreme Court justice about whom almost nothing is known? Sure enough, the White House has been reluctant to release Miers's records to the Judicial Committee. They're supposed to approve her because they trust the president so much. I really think they can't do that a second time.

MoveOn's idea is that the most effective way to make a difference right now is to write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. The goal is that, through these letters, the media, the community, and soon enough, the Senate, will realize that they should refuse to offer a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court as a matter of faith.

Of course, if my wishes come true and her nomination is not confirmed, we've solved one problem and replaced it with another. Who gets nominated then? Someone more conservative to appease the right? Or someone I would like? My track record is not good in these matters. But today's problem is doing something about this agreeing with George Will thing. I'm not sure I can take much more of this.

No comments: