Sunday, April 02, 2006

Charity South Dakota Style

I know everyone under the sun has already written about this, and there's not a thing in the world that I have to add. I'll just let State Senator Napoli's words stand by themselves. (Well, we'll have to see if I have the fortitude to actually do that....) Asked under which circumstances he thought abortion might possibly be allowable, he replied:
A real-life description to me would be a rape victim, brutally raped, savaged. The girl was a virgin. She was religious. She planned on saving her virginity until she was married. She was brutalized and raped, sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it, and is impregnated. I mean, that girl could be so messed up, physically and psychologically, that carrying that child could very well threaten her life.

How exactly would this poor raped, pregnant girl establish that she had had every intention of saving herself for her one true lover in marriage? And is he really implying that a non-religious woman who had otherwise the exact same experience wouldn't be damaged by it?

Actually, I think my friend Elisa nailed it when she pointed out that when abortion was illegal before, there wasn't DNA testing. Now we can prove who the father of that baby is, and if the mother carries the baby to term it means 18 years of child support payments for him guaran-damn-teed. Guys are going to start waving "it's a woman's right to choose" banners just as soon as they figure that out.

Ahem... well, I guess I couldn't quite let his words go without comment, could I? Oh well.

No comments: