Monday, April 03, 2006

Activism for Geeks


My computer-professional son would choke on his morning Mountain Dew if he knew that I was, however slightly, starting to think of myself as a technologically-savvy person. Admittedly, it's a very slight bit of my self-definition. And yet, several quasi-techie items of interest to activists have crossed my desk. Imagine.

Thing 1: I've blogged before about the Axis of Justice radio show. It's now available as a podcast. I love this show, and I love, love, love the idea of getting away from appointment listening. My life just doesn't work like that anymore. So, here's the link to the information:Axis of Justice. I hope you like it as much as I do. I can't imagine that you need help subscribing, but if you do... call my son ;)

Thing b (with a nod to the Car Talk guys who always list things this way!):Ideal Bite is a dandy service, providing daily tips on green living, as well as discussion and a collection of eco-ok blogs. Check it out.

In the third half of today's show ;) -If you want something a little more academic, try this. The University of Chicago Human Rights Program Distinguished Lecturer Series and the World Behind the Headlines lecture series are both available as podcasts. Here's the link: UofC Lecture Series.

And for entertainment's sake, there's the google-bombing effort on State Sen. Napoli's behalf. As Smart Bitch says, "fuckwittery should not go unrewarded." Here's the proposed definition:
napoli (not to be confused with the proper noun, which indicates the Italian city)
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): napolied
Pronunciation: nA’poli

1. To brutalize and rape, sodomize as bad as you can possibly make it, a young, religious virgin woman who was saving herself for marriage. 2. To hella rape somebody.

Etymology: From State Senator Bill Napoli’s (R-SD) words on an acceptable description of rape that would merit an exemption from South Dakota’s abortion ban.

What do you have to share? Of course, if I don't quit finding things, I'm going to have to quit my job just to keep up with all this information. I suppose I could use my workout time to catch up on causy podcasts. Maybe I'd work out more.... Or not.


No comments: