Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Death Be Not Proud


My heart just bleeds for the two U.S. soldiers found dead from torture. It falls out of my chest and bleeds on the floor. I try to comfort myself thus... In this allegedly all-volunteer army, they signed up. On some level, one hopes they knew the risks and that they took comfort in the certainty that their comrades were searching for them. Their families didn't sign up and couldn't possibly have been prepared. And even worse, they have to keep living, knowing what their sons endured. I think I'd go stark raving mad, in their shoes.

There is only one thing that would make this situation worse. And my fear is that it's not just likely but inevitable. If we use this atrocity to continue torturing other people's children, we avenge nothing. If we use this inhumane act to lower ourselves -again- to the level of barbaric torturers, nothing changes for the good. And if, in some tragic twist of logic and compassion, doing exactly those things becomes an expression of patriotism and even piety, then I won't know us at all.

No comments: