But, just for today, let's look at what's happened. I was just at the coffee shop for lunch, allegedly taking time to write in my journal. But, I couldn't get started, so I looked at the entry for a year ago, today. The future looked really dim for us. However, since then, we've had at least the following things happen:
- We might actually get an exit strategy for this war in Iraq. Even the Republicans want one now. I think that Cindy Sheehan gets a lot of the credit here.
- Tom Delay hasn't resigned (yet), but the House Ethics Committee didn't get to ride roughshod over... you know... ethics and keep him in a leadership position.
- Kenneth Tomlinson resigned as the head of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in spite of a heads-on effort from Republicans to decimate public radio and television.
- Social Security is apparently not going to be privatized.
- Nobody is going to drill (just yet, anyway) in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- The Patriot Act is finally getting the critical attention it should have had from the beginning.
- The Violence Against Women Act was actually enhanced -didn't see that coming!
- The nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court didn't go so well.
- The president is in deep trouble -even from his own party- for unauthorized domestic wire-tapping.
This could get to be fun!