Friday, September 02, 2005

The Lovely LilaPod

Here's the game.... Put your iPod in shuffle mode. Tell us the first 10 songs that appear, and no fair leaving out the ones that make you look like a dork. (Heck, I look like a dork every week when I do this, and I still think it's interesting.)



    My Ten Selections:
  • Ledge Psychology; Bob Newhart -a little dark humor for social workers
  • Study War No More; Sweet Honey in the Rock
  • You're No Good; Linda Ronstadt
  • Brandenburg Concerto No. 6; JS Bach
  • Nem as Paredes Confesso; Amalia Rodrigues
  • Changes in Latitude; Changes in Attitude; Jimmy Buffett
  • What Did You Learn in School Today?; Pete Seeger
  • Don't Call Me Baby; Madison Avenue
  • Symphony No. 41 in C (Jupiter); Mozart
  • Concerto for Two Trumpets, Strings, and Continuo; Vivaldi


But wait... there's more. One of my truly geeky addictions is this website, where fellow addicts can share their playlists: Addictive Playlists. I found this list, developed by master playlist author Radish, during a previous hurricane evacuation:



    Songs for Hurricane Season:
  • Ridin' the Storm Out; REO Speedwagon
  • Riders on the Storm; The Doors
  • Bad Moon Rising; CCR
  • Like a Hurricane; Neil Young
  • Hurricane; Bob Dylan
  • Rock You Like a Hurricane; Scorpions
  • Florida Hurricane; St. Louis Jimmy
  • Lightning in the Sky; Santana
  • Hurricane; Joan Osborne
  • Hurricane; Bush
  • The Storm; Big Country
  • Hurricane Season; The Tom Russell Band
  • Oh! What a Storm!; The Dry Branch Fire Squad
  • Dance to the Storm; Hothouse Flowers
  • Shelter from the Storm; Bob Dylan
  • Like a Hurricane; Roxy Music
  • Ahead of the Storm; Blue Highway
  • Storm Warning; Bonnie Raitt
  • Electrical Storm; U2
  • Hurricane; Mindy Smith
  • Blow the Man Down; The Robert Shaw Chorale
  • Dose of Thunder; The Replacements
  • Let the Thunder Roar; Grim Reaper

I know. I know. This isn't entirely appropriate. Believe me, I'm not making light of what the hurricane survivors have had to endure (more on that later). But in the meantime, I'm reminded of the Emma Goldman claim, "If I can't dance, it's not my revolution.". Okay, so we're not about a revolution here. But the people of New Orleans and environs are about creating a new reality for themselves. It's a kind of revolution, and among other things, perhaps we should dance in it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's an extra "w" in the URL for your playlist site, so the link doesn't work.

Andrea Rusin said...

Whoops! Thanks. It's fixed.

A