Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day, Good Work, and Right Livelihood

I've been having a bit of trouble sleeping lately (me and everyone else, I'm sure). Trying to fall asleep, I read. Last night I came across the following:

An old monk said: I never wanted work which was useful to me but loss to my brothers and sisters. For I have this expectation that what helps my brother is fruitful for me.

-Yushi Nomura, Desert Wisdom

And then there are Matthew Fox's questions: "What joy results from the work we are doing?" and "What suffering is relieved by the work we are doing?" Worthwhile Magazine.

But what do we do about the people who have icky jobs because they have to have some job? Is it just my perception, or would this describe most people? What about the people trying to support a family by working at McDonald's -a doomed enterprise if ever there was one? To them, does a spirituality of work and right livlihood look like just so much navel gazing? Do I get to think about joy arising from my work because I have the luxury of liking my job?

Or am I being patronizing and it's completely possible to have a spirit of giving and joy in any employment, paid or not, skilled or not, respected or not?

You can make yourself crazy with this kind of circular thinking! In the meantime, here's a prayer for meaningful work for all people: Prayer for Meaningful Work

No comments: