Wednesday, June 17, 2009

At Least it Leaned to the Left (???)

My big house project for the year is underway. Can you see the problem?



Yeah, it leaned a little bit. And it was being held up by a house jack in the center. And the doors were ugly, and weren't even the fold-able garage doors, like they've made for, oh, about the last 75 years. It was unsafe and ugly, and had no redeeming historical value. It had to go.

I knew the demolition guys were coming this morning, so I acknowledged that I'd seen the garage for the last time. They've been doing preparatory work for days, but the weather has been so rainy, they couldn't actually get the thing done. But the task was scheduled -again- for today, and the weather was lovely. I knew the garage had reached the end of its days. Even so, when the girl-child called me and said that they'd started, I felt a little gasp of fear. This is a HUGE thing to have undertaken. Who do I think I AM? Someone who knows how to do all this???? Who am I kidding?

I'm glad I missed this:










I was breathing into a paper bag at work, as it was. And then I got home and saw this: Okay, they'll come back for their equipment, and they didn't leave a bill. So, I'm thinking they're not done. But it's not as though the view has been improved, exactly.

Next up, pouring a new foundation and pad for the new garage. One step at a time.... the path is the goal....

Pass another brown paper bag, could you?

2 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Don't hyperventilate, Andrea. You're doing a great job. You ARE someone who knows how to do all this.

Patrice said...

I had a meltdown when I had the sills of my house repaired and they had to tear up my porch. A total, no holds barred meltdown. So I can relate. That said--kudos to you. It needed to be done and you'll be glad you did it.