Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Now I've Really Lost My Mind ;)



I signed up for a kayaking class. The last time I went kayaking I ended up on a river with monster rapids, where I had no business being, and fell out of the kayak and had to be driven back to my car in disgrace. And with some pretty impressive bruises, to boot. The kids and Dave, it need hardly be said, made it down the river without incident. Such is my life.

I like doing athletic things. (I can hear my sisters laughing in derision. No really, I do.) It's just that I don't learn them quickly. I took the belay class for rock climbing twice. I didn't fail the test the first time -although I probably should have. But I was NOT a competent belayer until I'd taken the class more than once AND practiced with a back-up belayer. I was just so nervous. Believe me when I tell you that this is not false modesty. I was a dangerous belayer until I had taken the class a second time.

I'm not exactly sure how that metaphor is going to extend itself to kayaking, but I'm sure that it will. I'll roll over and not be able to roll back up. I'll roll over and not be able to wet-exit. I'll.... screw up in some monumental way. I'm okay with this, as long as I'm making progress and not holding the class back.

Moreover, I have extended myself forty ways from Sunday this semester. I have observed that I am better when I'm busy. I may well have crossed the line to stupid-busy. First clue... my house is an ASTONISHING mess... between a remodeling project, packing Dave's stuff up, and having no time to clean. Let's see.... dust? Nah, I think I'll sign up for kayaking. Perhaps I'm not firing on all cylinders here.

But the class is here, and hasn't been offered for six years. It's an opportunity and I'm through with missing opportunities. And I have a thing about water. Oceans, rapidly flowing rivers... they soothe me. I can literally feel my blood pressure lower. So I'm going to be stupid-busy for five weeks. I'll get it all done. And I'll have another option for fitness and fun when I'm finished.

Assuming I don't crack my stupid-busy head open, that is!

4 comments:

breadchick said...

You will have fun! And when you come out East to visit Jill and I we will take my kayak and rent you one and go explore the islands in Long Island Sound!

Also, it is pretty impressive to do an roll...

Nina said...

we need another word instead of stupid-busy. I don't know what it is, though . . . .

Kimberly said...

That's great! Hey, a little play is a healthy thing.

Drew and I are planning to get sea kayaks this spring and start exploring a lot of the lakes up here.

Renee said...

Sounds like fun! Enjoy the busyness!