Thursday, July 24, 2008

I didn't have a perfect day

I had the most amazing realization today. Here's the background.

I've had the stomach flu for a few days. It's going around the shelter. We've had four people in the hospital, for heaven's sakes. But I was just .... discomfited for 36 hours, and I'm feeling fine now.

So I had three days off from a job I don't particularly like anyway. And then, Thursdays are always hard, and today was true to form. And then there was a 2 hour meeting at the end of the bloody day. And then, I heard from my lawyer as to the tactics that are likely to be on display at the settlement hearing. And....

Six months ago I would have been sobbing into my soup.

But tonight, I sat at my new kitchen table and drank my single glass of wine and ate my baked potato and salad and read my book and thought..."this is lovely. Nothing about this would be improved if Dave were here. I'm sort of glad he's not."

I didn't have a perfect day. But I confronted some hard things. I heard some good things. I had a pleasant evening with my book and my dinner. I had a lovely little bike ride before it got dark.

It wasn't a perfect day, but it was a powerful day.

1 comment:

Lisa :-] said...

Rock on, Woman! :-]