Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Mother's Hands

I remember, as a teenager, when my mother looked at her hands one day and said with some dismay, "I have my mother's hands". I was young enough that I was not astonished that my mother's hands looked old. I mean, seriously, wasn't she born old? (She was probably all of 40 when this story happened. I was an insensitive teenager, it need hardly be said.)

Well, karma's a bitch. I don't have my mother's hands. I have my GRANDMOTHER'S hands. My mom has always had beautiful manicures and rock-hard nails. How she managed this, with all the kids and dishes and work, I have no idea. But my rock climber-manicure-free-snaggly-cuticle hands probably figure in her nightmares. I can't quite remember what my grandmother's fingernails looked like, but I'm not getting a long-fingernail vibe from my memories.

And this morning, I noticed that my hands have FREAKING SPOTS on the backs. Jesus, Mary, and Saint Joseph, this getting old thing has no attendant dignity. I should probably be honored to be taking my place among the women with interesting, hard working hands. Ummmm...... not so much with that. I want to take my place with those women, right enough, but I want to LOOK young when I do it. Alas....

3 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

First it was my mother's hands, then it was her jowls, her "neck wattle," and a sprinkling of wiry gray hairs. I suppose, at 52, I should be happy it's not much worse than that. Yet I'm still expecting to see a 25-year-old when I look in the mirror...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about your age spots. Actually they will fade a lot if you get the appropriate cream to rub on them. I just remembered that Scarlett O'Hara was told to rub buttermilk on her hands to preserve her dewy white skin. Didnt all ladies also have to wear gloves for the same reason? I just got my first professional manicure ever. I highly recommend it. So relaxing. The thing I hate most is those little chin hairs. When I'm an old lady and can't pluck them out for myself, who will do it?

Elisa said...

I have my grandmother's hands too. They are veiny and spotted and look way older than the rest of me (I hope so anyway!). Yes, this must be why women used to wear gloves. There are definitely creams you can buy to lighten the spots. And then try to remember to sunscreen your hands every time you leave the house, for the rest of your life. :0