Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Illinois Marriage Initiative -Update

I've been chatting with a representative from Dignity-Chicago regarding the proposal to amend the Illinois Constitution, defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I was in a bit of a tailspin a few weeks ago, when the Illinois Bishops encouraged us to support this proposal. The first step was to get signatures supporting the inclusion of the non-binding proposal on the November 2006 ballot.

Well, apparently the signature collection isn't going all that well. I'm thrilled, but also a bit surprised. It's important to note that a marriage initiative has never failed at the ballot. The amendments can be overturned in federal court; Nebraska's was overturned early in 2005. But really, it would be better if this initiative never made it to the ballot in the first place.

In Illinois, amendment proposals have to come from the General Assembly, so this referendum simply encourages the assembly to take up this action. Again, it's non-binding and the General Assembly has been cool to the idea. So, even if the marriage initiative were to get its signatures and pass in November, it still could be true that nothing comes of it.

The thing is.... I'm reading nothing about this. I'm hearing nothing about this. A notice was in the church bulletin, but I haven't seen anything in the local paper. I certainly don't want to be the one to galvanize the political and religious right, bringing this issue to their attention by writing a letter to the editor. I suppose, if I work up some patience for exercises in futility, I'll write a letter to the Bishop expressing my concerns. Obviously it will make no difference, but he will have to file the objection away as yet another challenge to his notion of his own perfect authority. And I will be very interested to see if anything comes up about it at the parish justice and social action meeting this month. Prepare for fireworks if that happens, but these are good people. I think it won't. So for now I'm sitting tight and praying fervently that tolerance and respect prevail in the body politic and the church.

For extra credit, you can read this lovely article: Call To Wed. Really. Do it.

No comments: