Wednesday, July 25, 2007

WIP-It Wednesday!

My brain is rebelling a little bit. I can't quite think how to link my knitting to the alleged purpose of this blog -figuring out how to make the world a better place. Yet, I do want to keep in touch with my local knitting buddies, and I know for a certain truth that I can not maintain two blogs.

"WIP" is knitter-talk for Works In Progress. So I've decided to do WIP-It Wednesdays, with updates of my knitting. Perhaps a link between knitting and building a better world (aside from the obvious charity knitting) will become clear. Stranger things have happened. In any case, I hope my knitter friends respond and tell me what they're knitting. Otherwise -and until I connect with Philadelphia knitters- I might end up losing touch with reality and making crocheted ripple afghans out of Wal-Mart acrylic, or some other crime against humanity.

All I have at this point are projects that look unremarkable to say the least. Before the day is over, I will locate the camera and its attendant cords and upload pictures. But the short version is this.

I have the Bed of Roses shawl -so close to done that I'm in the "must start new project" danger zone. It is destined to become a wall hanging (not that I've figured out the details of that operation) in our new house. The goal:


I also have just started the Irish Diamond lace shawl from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls book. The goal:


And I have the lace cardigan from the most recent Knitters magazine on the needles, but barely started. This cardigan starts in the middle (althought not with a provisional cast-on) and works up. Then you go back and work down for the rest of the sweater. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. However, I started this sweater the night before Dave came home. My daughter and some friends decided that we needed a bachelorette party that night. Since I didn't have one when the time might have been more appropriate, we went for it. So, the short version is that I was a little tipsy when I cast on for this sweater. Therefore, I -uncharacteristically, to say the least- decided to follow the directions, on the off chance that there was a reason for them. I still don't see any such reason, but I'll keep you posted. I can't find an on-line picture of the finished sweater, although I'm sure at least one exists. I'll keep at it.

Pictures of the much less exciting actuality are forthcoming -unless the camera is already in a box. But I don't think it is.


No comments: