Monday, June 18, 2007

The Writing on the Wall

I had the weirdest experience this morning. Standing in the shower, running through my mental list of the 4 jillion things I need to do today, *pop* a writing project that I've been ruminating -but doing nothing specific- about jumped full-blown into my head. The organization, the structure, the chapters, the examples, they were all right there.

I was supposed to go for a long bike ride today, but I didn't. (Which is good, because the weather is seriously strange.) Instead I've been glued to my computer and this project I didn't know I was ready to start.

It must be said, there's some oomph needed to get these ideas wrangled onto a page. There's a big difference between clarity at the organization level and simple, clear sentences on a page. But, at least for my writing, there's no point in starting the sentence crafting until I have a sense of the broad strokes. Not that I don't reserve the right to work backwards and change the organization, too. I just like to start with a plan, even if I disregard it almost entirely.

So, that's all for now. I just wanted to let you know what I was doing, in case I start to ignore you. I'm writing.

Until Thursday, when I go see Math-Man for a 48-hour whirlwind tour, where -let us fervently hope- I am not spending my time writing ;)

No comments: