Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Get Your Paws Off My Language

I grant you, this is just a meaningless rant. You'll have to visit someone else's blog if you want something constructive today. Here's the thing. I'm not completely fussy about grammar and usage. I sometimes intentionally split infinitives, start sentences with conjunctions, and use too many commas. I have to remind myself how to spell "embarrass," and I've embarrassed myself on more than one occasion when I didn't stop to think how to spell it. But give me a break.

I went to technorati this morning. The site will tell you what the top ten most popular search tags are. You know what makes the top ten? "Loose weight", that's what. Spelled correctly, it doesn't make the top ten. This disturbs me. Or is "loose weight" something distinct from "tight weight" and I'm just out of the loop on this new phenomenon? Then, I opened my e-mail. There I found a completely meaningless sentence that starts "Thank you for taking the imitative...". Taking the what? I'm sorry you've lost your imitative, but I didn't take it. Eventually I figured out what the writer meant, but really, the reader should only have to do half the work of communication.

And then I went to the grocery store because we're out of coffee (undoubtedly the actual cause of my cantankerous rant). Since I had only one item in my cart, I lined up in the "10 items or less" line. Blast it! Are the anti-grammarians out to get me today?

No comments: