Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Maybe I Was Right the First Time

I mean... seriously.... who ARE these people who call themselves the religious right? Jerry Falwell, who blamed me and my friends (not by name, of course) for the destruction of the World Trade Center, has now suggested that Hillary Clinton is worse than Lucifer. Oh, yeah. At a Values Voter Summit, he said, "I hope she's the candidate, because nothing will energize my (constituency) like Hillary Clinton. If Lucifer ran, he wouldn't.''

Now, let's let this be clear. I hope she doesn't run for president. I don't think I can find it in me to vote for her, based on her support for the war in Iraq. But a personal attack, demonizing her for...what? And explain to me again how doing so is a Christian value. For shame.

To his credit, evangelical pastor Jim Wallis has already blogged against this nonsensical behavior. Let's see what the rest of the evangelical community has to say. And let's see if, God forbid, Jerry Falwell is right and the conservative voters are motivated by his absurd rhetoric.

Meaningful dialogue has to wait another day.

No comments: