Monday, July 09, 2007

Prostrations for Peace

I'm back -literally and metaphorically. I'm finished, as far as can be known, with travels until we move in August. So I'm back home. And I'm back, in the sense that I'm going to go looking for my blogging voice and see if I can get back to working to create a world of justice and peace. In my own little ways, you understand.

So, in that spirit, here's an event you might be interested in: Prostrations for peace. I heard about it through Franklin, whose blog you really should be reading. If you don't want to follow the links, the idea is this. On Sunday the 15th, like-minded souls are going to gather at North Shore Pier in Chicago, starting at 5:00 in the morning and staying straight on until sunset -or for as long as you like. For whatever time we're there, we'll meditatively confront the suffering "we the people" have caused with our various wars around the globe. People will meditate, prostrate, practice yoga, pray... whatever spiritual practice soothes and offers succor to the world.

My plan is to meditate, pray, and practice yoga. Prostrations are probably beyond my temperamental abilities. So now I'm musing on what kind of yoga practice might be appropriate. I'm leaning towards some sort of heart-opening practice, but the details are not yet clear to me. I imagine that the details don't matter very much, either ;) The point is, we're gathering and in our own ways looking for a spiritual dimension to the important work of ending war in general and these particular wars.

Namaste.

No comments: