Monday, November 07, 2005

Popcorn and Social Change




A few days ago, I invited people to join me in watching Chasing Freedom. I hadn't seen the movie. It just seemed like the sort of thing that people interested in both film and social justice might enjoy. I don't want to spill too many beans here, but please watch this movie.

It's the fictionalized account of a true story. It isn't "change my life" great, although I think it could be for, say, students in an international social work, or international relations, or women's studies class. I'm an easy sell on issues of social justice; I care about them all, it seems. But even so, the movie energized me on issues of women's rights in fundamentalist regimes. Moreover, I didn't exactly need to be sold on the importance of education as a tool for creating social justice, but the movie reinforces that point as well.

So, in short, renting this movie would be time well spent. Someone please watch it so we can talk about it less elliptically!

The movie inspired me to track down these organizations, focusing on similar goals:


I'm still in the beginning phase of exploring these organizations, so don't jump in with both feet on my say-so! If anyone else has any ideas for ways to get involved with these issues, I'm definitely interested.

No comments: